I don’t know if you’ve been reading any of the newer “it’s not what you eat, it’s when you eat” books, but suddenly the tiniest differences in the timing of your meals appears to make a difference in your body weight.
Now this variation has extended to the use of the Mediterranean Diet and diet-diabetics, also called Type II diabetics. It turns out that skipping breakfast and having a big lunch complete with wine isn’t worse for you than eating multiple meals throughout the day.
The study tested three different diets for diabetics. “The three diets were a low-fat diet, a low-carbohydrate diet and a Mediterranean diet.” The low fat diet contained far more carbohydrates and increased blood sugar the most. The low-carbohydrate diet contained mostly fats and continued the trend showing that diabetics do better with lower carbs. The high fat content of the low-carbohydrate diet elevated blood fats including triglycerides.
But it was the Mediterranean diet that gave the most interesting information. “The Mediterranean diet was composed of only a cup of black coffee for breakfast, and with all the caloric content corresponding to breakfast and lunch during the other two test days accumulated to one large lunch.” Despite this, “with a massive lunch with wine (the Mediterranean Diet), did not induce higher blood glucose levels than the low-fat diet lunch, despite such a large single meal.”
“Our results give reason to reconsider both nutritional composition and meal arrangements for patients with diabetes.” Certainly a nice thought that we might still have a little flexibility in when we eat.
Here’s the complete free article.
- The life of a diabetic (kaylasdiabeticalertdog.wordpress.com)
- Mediterranean Diet, Skipping Breakfast Benefits Patients with Diabetes (scienceworldreport.com)
- Mediterranean diet without breakfast the best choice for diabetics (eurekalert.org)
- Mediterranean diet without breakfast best for diabetics (bhushanpundlikshirude.wordpress.com)
- One Meal A Day Better For People With Type 2 Diabetes (medicaldaily.com)
- What’s the Best Diet for Type 2 Diabetics? (diabeticmediterraneandiet.com)
- The case for ALKALINIZING your meals and eating LOW Glycemic Indexed foods (phecinfo.wordpress.com)
- Have You Tried the Mediterranean Diet? (shootthescribe.wordpress.com)
- Skipping meals can lead to weight gain, diabetes (texilaconnect.wordpress.com)
- 8 Tips for Healthy Eating (healthylifeguides.wordpress.com)