Here’s Dr. Oz’s Solution quickly, and then I’ll break it down:
Fill a bowl with 2 cups of boiling water and add 10 drops of lavender essential oil. Place your head over the bowl and drape a towel across the back of your head to keep steam in. Inhale deeply for 1 minute.
Try doing this stretch for 2 minutes: Lie down 6 inches from a headboard or a wall with your legs up extended up the wall. Let arms rest by your sides and breathe gently.
So I should drink chamomile tea with melatonin, sniff lavender, cool my room, and stretch my legs? I’m sorry, that’s not really what I was looking for.
Let me give you a quick, short list of things to try for sleep:
I use 5HTP to help patients STAY asleep. It keeps them from waking up as much.
I use melatonin (0.5 mg? Way more.) to help deficient patients fall asleep.
I use valerian, passion flower, hops, Scutellaria, kava, and many other herbs to help patients who are willing to do teas and prefer it.
Every sleep discussion has to center around the concerns and issues around sleep. Why can’t you sleep? What is wrong with your bed? Are you forced to get up to go to the bathroom eight times a night? Unless you address the issues, knocking someone out with Ambien is really not a hot idea. (Sleep activities are increasing. If you want a disturbing discussion of amnesia while driving after taking Ambien, here’s the medline link).
So I’m not going to go into the specifics of Dr. Oz’s approach unless someone writes to me confused about his program.
Try to get some rest.
- Is Dr. Oz’s Dr. Breus Right About Melatonin Not Being Helpful For Sleep? (alternativendhealth.wordpress.com)
- Sleep Tight With Melatonin (beverley1.com)
- Melatonin May Improve Sleep for People on Blood-Pressure Meds (nlm.nih.gov)
- Ambien Zombie Drivers (systemicfailure.wordpress.com)
- Sleep And Simple Steps To Improve It (trilogybootcamp.com)
- Tackling insomnia: Six reasons why you might not be sleeping well… and what you can do about them (mirror.co.uk)
- Teens indulging in their phone after lights-out may suffer from insomnia (japandailypress.com)
- 12 Sleep Tips for Fibromyalgia Sufferers (lifeinthefibrolane.com)
- Dr. Oz’s Five Weight Loss Tips for Women Over 40. (alternativendhealth.wordpress.com)
- What happens to your body if you don’t let it sleep? (guardian.co.uk)