I love the limitation of something lifelong like dietary choices to some arbitrary period less than a month. How amazing that we still fall for it over and over. Just like the term “$19.95 + shipping and handling,” dieting for four, seven, twelve and seventeen days all just sound good.
Kim Lyons is on Dr. Oz and she says this plan will help you trim fat for good. Really?
To begin, we should decide if her plan has any chance of working. It does. She combines a liver slowing drink with a no carbohydrate diet, which has been shown to drop weight quickly.
Let’s break it down:
First, we have a drink with grapefruit juice to be drunk before eating. Ok, that may make you feel fuller, because grapefruit slows your liver’s ability to process.
Second, you get no carbohydrates except for vegetable carbs for ten days. Vegetable carbs are, if you read your Dr. Atkins, offset by the fiber content so you get almost no real calories from carbohydrates.
Third, make all your protein spicy. Beyond making just protein more tasty, spicy food will push things through your colon and empty you out.
Four, snack on “Kim Lyons’ Cauliflower Popcorn.” Yum. I think this must be an acquired taste, and it’s a distraction from the fact that you’re just eating vegetables again.
“On average, subjects lost 6.75 and 4.32 kg of weight on the LC and MC diets” that translates into 14 lbs versus 9 lbs for the metric impaired. So a low carbohydrate diet will help you shed a few pounds if you are an obese man. (Here’s the study.)
That level of low carbohydrates leads to ketosis, or the burning of ketones instead of carbohydrates. It is really a variation on the induction period of the Atkins diet and protein as a diet tool that has pretty much dominated the diet community since Atkins had his increased popularity in the late 1990’s.
But is that type of diet really a permanent weight loss recipe? Unfortunately, no. No diet, including all the South Beach, Atkins, etc., has been shown to be a permanent source of weight loss. The only way to permanently lose weight is to permanently change the way you eat and live.
That said, eating more vegetables for ten days isn’t a terrible idea. Here’s Kim Lyons’ grocery list for ten days.
- Heart disease link to low carb diet (bigpondnews.com)
- High protein low-carb diet menu (foodlowcarb.wordpress.com)
- Low Carbohydrate Diets Help Maintain Weight Loss (losethattyre.co.uk)
- Is Weight Gain A Matter of Calories in Vs Calories Out . (losethattyre.co.uk)
- What is a Low Carb Diet? (fastslimbody.com)
- New Analysis Finds Low-Carb Diets Reduce Heart Disease Risk Factors (diabeticmediterraneandiet.com)
- Know about low carb high protein diet plan which include redwine (foodlowcarb.wordpress.com)
- What are the negative effects of eliminating carbohydrates from your diet? (foodlowcarb.wordpress.com)
- Can You Really Lose Seventeen Pounds In Five Days On The Harcombe Diet? Maybe. (alternativendhealth.wordpress.com)
- Science shows that self-discipline taxes the soul (iijiij.com)