When we talk about MDS, or Myelodysplastic syndrome, it is important not only to think about what it is but where it came from.
The Wiki page says it well:
MDS is consistently associated with things that cause cancer, and secondarily with the treatments of cancer. So when Good Morning America co-anchor Robin Roberts joined the ranks of others with MDS including astronomer Carl Sagan, writer Susan Sontag, and writer Roald Dahl, she was really telling the viewing public that she was suffering serious long term side effects from our current regime of treating cancer. What she wasn’t saying, because no one will say it, is that she was one of the expected casulties of the ongoing stalemate war on cancer.
When the Washington Post covered the story, they reported that the darn cells just aren’t producing enough. It appears that MDS magically appears from a vacuum in the body, never related to anything. And the treatments are a variety of the same drugs and procedures that are often the original causes of the problem. So they aren’t terribly effective.
Instead we move to the last-ditch effort of bone marrow transplant which is now called the less formidable sounding “stem cell transplant.” If they could, they would call it “a walk in the park.” In fact, I think they should start calling all medical procedures by innocuous names. A Bypass surgery could be called a “heart push up,” brain surgery could be “opening your mind,” and the so pleasant “fecal transplant” could become “upgrading your gut.” Everything sounds better when you rename it.
- ‘GMA’ host Robin Roberts battling blood disorder (vitals.msnbc.msn.com)
- Robin Roberts has myelodysplastic syndrome, will begin MDS treatment (wjla.com)
- ‘GMA’ host Roberts battling blood disorder (vitals.msnbc.msn.com)
- ‘GMA’ host has rare blood disease (lfpress.com)
- Robin Roberts: “I have MDS” (local10.com)
- TV Anchor Robin Roberts Has Rare Bone Marrow Disorder (news.health.com)
- TV Anchor Robin Roberts Has Rare Bone Marrow Disorder – U.S. News & World Report (health.usnews.com)
- Robin Roberts reveals MDS diagnosis (cnn.com)
- ABC’s Roberts has blood, bone marrow disorder (miamiherald.com)
- Robin Roberts: I will beat MDS (marquee.blogs.cnn.com)
- Robin Roberts: I’m Going To Beat This (theobamacrat.com)
- Rare Blood Disorder Won’t Stop Robin Roberts From Hosting GMA (theatlanticwire.com)
- Robin Roberts — I’ve Been Diagnosed with MDS … but I’m Going to Beat It!! (tmz.com)