It occurred to me that people talk about killing flesh-eating bacteria, but in many parts of the world asking for Cipro or a third-generation Cephalosporin isn’t really an option. Even in situations where you get to an E.R., if they don’t take off the tissue within 24 hrs, you’re in trouble.
So here’s a short list of things that kill Steptococcus pyogenes, the most common flesh-eating bacteria. The poor girl who has it right now has a fresh water variant, which just involves not deeply lacerating yourself in fresh water and then having E.R. doctors who consider it a possibility rather than assuming you’re a whiner.
To kill Steptococcus “flesh-eating” pyogenes:
Antibiotics: good ol’penicillin. Preferable over many of the newer antibiotics. “All isolates were sensitive to penicillin, cefradine, and ofloxacin.”
A. lingustica oil (other oils are effective, including mentha arvensis)
Antimicrobial efficacy of Achillea ligustica All. (Asteraceae) essential oils against reference and isolated oral microorganisms.
The aim of this study was to verify the effectiveness of Achillea ligustica essential oils against several oral microorganisms in comparison with a commercial essential oil-containing mouthrinse (Listerine(®)) and clove oil (containing 89% eugenol). The inhibition efficacy of A. ligustica essential oils alone and in combination with Listerine(®) was evaluated by the micro-dilution method. The most susceptible microorganisms were Bacillus cereus, Streptococcus pyogenes, and Candida albicans. The efficacy was similar to that of the clove oil. The antiseptic mouthwash Listerine(®) did not exert a strong inhibition on microbial strains tested, whereas its effectiveness increased significantly when essential oil was added. The study provides additional evidence for the in vitro inhibitory activity of A. ligustica essential oils on several pathogens, suggesting their usefulness in mouthrinse formulations as an adjunct to mechanical oral hygiene regimens. Essential oil-containing mouthrinses can be beneficial, safe components of daily oral health routines, representing an efficient and without side effect alternative to prevent and control oral infections.
Copyright © 2012 Verlag Helvetica Chimica Acta AG, Zürich.
- Another Woman With Scary Flesh-Eating Bacteria; Do You Know These 5 Warning Signs? (blisstree.com)
- What is Flesh-Eating Bacteria? (livescience.com)
- Woman contracts flesh-eating bacteria after zip lining, now Venice Beach wants to add one. (humanbodyengineer.wordpress.com)
- Dear Flesh Eating Bacteria (blurtblog.net)
- Blood drive set for flesh-eating bacteria survivor (washingtontimes.com)
- The science behind flesh-eating bacteria and its cure (deaconjohnspace.wordpress.com)
- The science behind flesh-eating bacteria and its cure (deaconforlife.blogspot.com)
- Flesh-eating Bacteria Inspires Highly Selective Instant Adhesive (science.slashdot.org)
- How ‘Flesh-Eating Bacteria’ Strike (thedailybeast.com)
- Master’s Student Continues ‘Miraculous’ Fight Against Flesh-Eating Bacteria [Flesh-eating Bacteria] (gawker.com)
- Miracle Botanicals Launches Affordable Rose Essential Oil (prweb.com)
- How To Use Essential Oils Effectively (thrivefarm.wordpress.com)
- Essential Oils and Oral Care (reinventinghealthcare.wordpress.com)
- Definition: Essential Oils (bellasugar.com)
- Product Review: Espa Essential Tea Tree Oil (bellasugar.com)
- Art Therapy: The Essentials (studiolightblue.com)
- Essential Oil Blend Di-Gize™ for Digestive Support (jackie-mclaughlin.com)
- Essential Oils are Good for our Health (seasonalspicearomatherapy.wordpress.com)
- Aromatherapy (scentzsogood.wordpress.com)
- Woman With Flesh-Eating Bug Mouths ‘Where Am I?’ – EDGEOnTheNet (drugstoresource.wordpress.com)
- Flesh-Eating Germ Rare, Especially For The Healthy – NPR (drugstoresource.wordpress.com)
- Blood Drive Set for Flesh-Eating Bacteria Survivor (abcnews.go.com)
- Woman with Flesh-eating Disease Fights for Life (usnews.com)
- Blood drive set for flesh-eating bacteria survivor (sacbee.com)
- Flesh Eating Bacteria Has Georgia Student Fighting For Her Life (fox2now.com)
- Young Woman In Critical Condition, Losing All Of Her Limbs To A Flesh-Eating Bacteria (now1031.cbslocal.com)