In the annual discussion about electic vs. oil, things have changed.
We have numbers for average costs in 2004.
Back in 2004, the average cost of heating oil was $1.32 a gallon. (Tripled since then.)
Now it runs about $3.79. So in 2004, a thousand gallons was $1,320. Now it’s $3,790.
Electricity is harder.
8487 Kwh. We need to factor in the first 100 Kwh per month at a fixed rate. Figuring six months of winter heating, 600 Kwh runs about 51.18. The rest of the amount, 7887 Kwh, is roughly .060278 per Kwh. That gives me a total of about 475.41 + 51.18= 526.59 for the electricity. But then the delivery is extra. I estimate that at about 0.08 per Kwh. That gives me 0.08 x 8487 = 678.96
So total cost of electricity is 526.59 + 678.96 = $1205.55. It used to be very comparable with oil costs, but not anymore. Now electricity is much less expensive.
Now, I’d love to see the arguments on the other side. I think when things were a toss up back in 2001 everybody decided oil was easier and cost about the same. Now I want to see recent numbers that would justify using oil.
- Energy round-up: Are lower prices on the way? (confused.com)
- Slash your gas bill by £340: home insulation offer (confused.com)
- How to calculate how much electricity your A/C unit uses (txu.com)
- Chevy Revolt (snopes.com)
- Thieves Target Home Heating Oil In New Hampshire (boston.cbslocal.com)
- EVs in China create more pollutants than gas-powered cars (green.autoblog.com)
- Some Light on Electricity Bill (pgbhat.wordpress.com)
- 3-On Your Side: One Penny Home Heating Oil (philadelphia.cbslocal.com)
- Households face energy bill shock after cold snaps (confused.com)
- No change in Maine heating oil prices (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Heating Oil And The Ways You Can Get More From It This Year (mydecorarticles.com)
- How You Can Keep Your Heating Oil Safe (mydecorarticles.com)
- Maine heating oil jumps 11 cents a gallon (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Economics of an electrical vs. heating oil radiator (ask.metafilter.com)
- In Fuel Oil Country, Cold That Cuts to the Heart (nytimes.com)
- Average Maine heating oil price rises 1 cent (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Letters: Keeping Low-Income Mainers Warm in Winter (nytimes.com)
- Heating Oil And The Reasons Why The Prices Rise (mydecorarticles.com)