Here in Maine, we’re starting to peek out at the possibility of spring. Like all the other animals, people are moving around more, kicking the leaves out of the bedroom, and taking off the layers of fake fur we all bundle up in.
But what we aren’t doing is dropping body fat. No real surprise there. The battle of the bulge is epidemic these days. And doesn’t it always seem that women have a tougher time losing weight than men? It’s that testosterone, just makes it easier. But hold on a moment.
Like Mainers, grizzly bears hunker down for winter. They get cozy and snuggle up, waiting out the winter months without too much change. By the time they wake up, they’ve dropped body weight and start binge eating all summer just to stay even for the winter. The important thing is that, while the males lose and gain weight, the females lose and gain more. That’s right, it’s easier for the female grizzly to change weight than for the giant, testosterone ridden male.
Oh, but that’s about having children, right? Nope, the fluctuation in weight increases throughout the female grizzly’s life until she is fluctuating not 50%, but 70% of her body weight every year! Do some simple math. A 200 lb person fluctuating seventy percent of his or her weight would be fluctuating by as much as 140 lb every year!
I’m not suggesting that you all take sedatives and sleep out the winter, though it might be less dangerous than some of the surgeries currently being considered. But I am looking at the female/male fluctuation and thinking that female humans might do much better if they matched their weight loss planning to seasonal variations. In other words, our current fixation on weight loss starting January 1st is probably why so many women cannot figure out how to lose any weight. We need to look at the weather outside before we decide to make sudden changes in how we eat. Despite all our bravado, we still live in animal bodies.
- Mayo Clinic Still Isn’t Treating Weight Loss Correctly. (alternativendhealth.wordpress.com)
- Science Uncovers the Mystery Behind the ‘Yo-yo’ Effect of Weight Loss Woes (menopausemaniac.com)
- Weight-Loss Progress: Now You See It, Now You Don’t (mariaslastdiet.com)
- Surgery ‘healthiest means of weight loss’ (mya.co.uk)
- Tummy tucks popular after extreme weight loss (mya.co.uk)
- Weight-Loss Strategies on How to Stay Motivated to Lose Weight (mariaslastdiet.com)
- For Permanent Weight Loss: Ready, Aim, Fire – At What? (mariaslastdiet.com)
- Weight Loss for Writers… (virginiasviewonnovelwriting.wordpress.com)
- Weight loss surgery linked to significant cancer risk reduction (mya.co.uk)
- How big can grizzly bears get? (greenanswers.com)
- The Long-Term Effects of Weight-Loss Surgery (everydayhealth.com)
- 18 Outrageous Weight Loss Products – From Fat Cutting Underwear to Appetite Hindering Lip Gloss (TrendHunter.com) (trendhunter.com)
- Stupid (verydemotivational.memebase.com)
- Grizzly Bears vs. Polar Bears (edudad.com)
- Grizzly Bear gets in back of Canadian stoner’s pick-up truck (wtf.videosift.com)
- Smarter than the average bear: Baby grizzly hitches a ride on his mum at Yellowstone Park (mirror.co.uk)
- Alberta logging could hamper USA grizzly bear recovery (yubanet.com)
- Watch Two Stoners Laugh As Grizzly Bear Wanders Into Their Pickup Truck [Video] (jalopnik.com)
- Parks Canada to track grizzly bears with GPS (slashgear.com)
- Banff grizzlies to be fitted with GPS collars (calgaryherald.com)
- Yellowstone in Winter: Let Sleeping Grizzlies Lie (cheyennecharlie.wordpress.com)
- Watch: Northern Lights dance over Pacific Northwest | Outdoors | KPIC CBS 4 – News, Weather and Sports – Roseburg, OR (humanbodyengineer.wordpress.com)
- Could liposuction be the answer for fat-loss tablet users? (mya.co.uk)
- Epic New Wildlife TV Series Showcases Elusive Animals as They’ve Never Been Seen Before – Featuring Wolverines, Polar Bears, Mountain Lions And Grizzlies On Nat Geo WILD (prweb.com)
- Tips about how low fat diet plan can help you all of us as of late (aujasus.com)
- As a study reveals women prefer their men clean shaven, lifelong beard-hater KATHRYN KNIGHT asks which stars are… Sexier by a whisker? (dailymail.co.uk)