Since she suffered from Rheumatoid Arthritis since 2006, it is an easy leap to assume that illness was in some way responsible for her current one. But, quite the contrary. RA patients suffer less from Alzheimers than the general population because they take anti-inflammatories for long periods.
I should add at this point that I have my own fringe ideas on what may be the cause of Alzheimers, which includes that scary little thing called a prion. I talked more about my hypotheses when Terry Pratchett announces he had Alzheimers.
But for Ms. Summitt, we at least have the good news that continuing to be physically and mentally active is the best way to stave off the disease. One of the newer hypotheses about Alzheimers is that it stems from vascular abnormalities, so perhaps all that court side shouting and clench toothed watching was a factor?
- Pat Summitt diagnosed with dementia, will try to coach this season (aol.sportingnews.com)
- Tenn. Basketball’s Summit Has Early Onset Dementia (foxnews.com)
- Sad News: Pat Summitt Has Dementia (zwingliusredivivus.wordpress.com)
- Tennessee’s Summitt Has Early Onset Dementia (abcnews.go.com)
- Tennessee’s Summitt has early onset dementia (sfgate.com)
- Pat Summitt diagnosed with early onset dementia (theglobeandmail.com)
- VIDEO: Pat Summitt Discusses Alzheimer’s Diagnosis, Decision To Keep Coaching (sbnation.com)
- Pat Summitt Diagnosed With Dementia, Will Still Coach This Season [College Basketball] (deadspin.com)
- Sad News: UT’s Pat Summitt Diagnosed With Dementia (aseaofblue.com)
- University of Tennessee Women’s Coach, Pat Summitt Diagnosed with Early Onset Dementia (sugarslam.com)
- Tennessee’s Summitt Reveals Dementia Diagnosis (nytimes.com)
- Pat Summitt diagnosed with dementia, plans to coach this season (sportsillustrated.cnn.com)
- Tennessee’s Summitt has early onset dementia (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Tennessee women’s coach Summitt diagnosed with dementia (nypost.com)
- Strength, determination will carry Summitt (sportsillustrated.cnn.com)