Apologies for the following. Gonorrhea is a sexually transmitted disease and needs to be dealt with on that level.
So they’ve made a long-awaited announcement in the New York Times. The antibiotics we use to treat gonorrhea aren’t working (read article). It’s not completely resistant, but we’re getting there fast.
The article is a shout out to all those researchers out there to work on getting more antibiotics into the pipeline.
Really? What about a shout out to all those hipsters out there who think it’s somehow cooler to not use protection? And to the ladies who let them? I’m sorry, we’ve still got a laundry list of things you can catch that newer antibiotics for gonorrhea won’t fix.
Can we go back to making latex, or non-latex if you need it, cool? But it spoils the moment? Nothing spoils the moment like purulent discharge. Let’s make it cool to be safe and to take care of the people we claim to care about.
Gonorrhea can spread systemically when left untreated. Arthritis is one of many secondary effects. Acupuncture may help with gonococcal arthritis.
A number of plant extracts have shown benefit in opposing gonorrhea. Perhaps we should look for our next antibiotics there. Three study extracts included below.
Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2009 Oct;34(4):322-5. Epub 2009 Jun 7.
Diospyrone, crassiflorone and plumbagin: three antimycobacterial and antigonorrhoeal naphthoquinones from two Diospyros spp.
Kuete V, Tangmouo JG, Meyer JJ, Lall N.
SourceDepartment of Biochemistry, University of Dschang, P.O. Box 67, Dschang, Cameroon. firstname.lastname@example.org
The aim of this study was to evaluate the antimycobacterial and antigonorrhoeal activities of three naphthoquinones (diospyrone, crassiflorone and plumbagin) from Diospyros canaliculata and Diospyros crassiflora as well as the crude extracts from these plants. The agar disk diffusion assay, broth microdilution method, microplate Alamar blue assay (MABA) and radiometric respiratory technique using the BACTEC 460 TB system were used. Results of the antimycobacterial assays indicated that the minimal inhibitory concentrations (MICs) and minimal bactericidal concentrations ranged from 1.22 microg/mL to 39.06 microg/mL for Mycobacterium smegmatis and all studied Mycobacterium tuberculosis strains for the crude extract from D. crassiflora, diospyrone and crassiflorone. Results of the killing rate experiment revealed that a total inhibition effect on M. tuberculosis H37Rv strain was observed at Day 18 for D. crassiflora and Day 21 for the crude extract from D. canaliculata and diospyrone at 4x MIC as determined by MABA. Results of the antigonorrhoeal assay indicated that diospyrone was able to prevent the growth of all studied strains of Neisseria gonorrhoeae. The overall results of this work provide evidence that the studied plant extracts (diospyrone, crassiflorone and plumbagin) might be potential sources of new antimicrobial drugs against tuberculosis and gonorrhoea.
Curr Pharm Biotechnol. 2009 Nov;10(7):650-66.
Chlorophytum borivilianum: a white gold for biopharmaceuticals and neutraceuticals.
Thakur GS, Bag M, Sanodiya BS, Debnath M, Zacharia A, Bhadauriya P, Prasad GB, Bisen PS.
SourceResearch and Development Centre, Bisen Biotech and Biopharma Pvt. Ltd., Biotech Research Park, M-7, Laxmipuram, Transport Nagar, Gwalior (M.P.), India.
Chlorophytum borivilianum Santapau & Fernandes (Liliaceae) also known as ‘Safed Musli‘ is a traditional rare Indian medicinal herb which has many therapeutic applications in Ayurvedic, Unani, Homeopathic and Allopathic system of medicine. Its roots (tubers) are widely used for various therapeutic applications. It is used to cure physical illness and weakness, as an aphrodisiac agent and revitalizer, as general sex tonic, remedy for diabetes, arthritis and increasing body immunity, curative for natal and postnatal problems, for rheumatism and joint pains, increase lactation in feeding mothers, as antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, antitumor agent, also used in diarrhea, dysentery, gonorrhea, leucorrhea etc. It has spermatogenic property and is found useful in curing impotency, now it is considered as an alternative ‘Viagra’. Its root contains steroidal and triterpenoidal saponins, sapogenins and fructans which act as therapeutic agents and play vital role in many therapeutic applications. It is a rich source of over 25 alkaloids, vitamins, proteins, carbohydrates, steroids, saponins, potassium, calcium, magnesium, phenol, resins, mucilage, and polysaccharides and also contains high quantity of simple sugars, mainly sucrose, glucose, fructose, galactose, mannose and xylose. The commercial exploitation of this plant and their secondary metabolites, germplasm conservation and in vitro production of secondary metabolites for quality control are some of the major prospects of this rare medicinal herb. The focus of the present review is to galvanize the potential of therapeutic and nutritive values of this herb and production of their secondary metabolites. The in vitro tuber induction, extraction, purification and characterization of saponins are also discussed in the present review.
J Tradit Chin Med. 1996 Jun;16(2):108-11.
116 cases of gonococcal arthritis treated with acupuncture.
SourceShandan County Hospital of TCM, Gansu Province.
The present parper deseribes the combined treatment of gonococcal arthritis by acupuncture, garlic moxibustion, pricking blood, cupping and drawing hydrarthrus. Dazhui (Du 14), Quchi (LI 11) and Zusanli (St 36) points were selected, plus points along the meridian which were needled as indicated by the affected joint. Results showed that of the 116 cases, 74 were cured, 13 were markedly helped, 11 improved and 11 failed. The total effective rate was 84.5%.
- Resistant gonorrhea strain found in lab (cbc.ca)
- Resistant gonorrhea strain found in Japan (cbc.ca)
- Antibiotic resistant gonorrhea and the future of oral sex (boingboing.net)
- Bad bug: Gonorrhea strain resists all drugs (msnbc.msn.com)
- Antibiotic-Resistant Gonorrhea Alarms Experts: VIDEO (towleroad.com)
- Bad bug: Gonorrhea strain resists all drugs (msnbc.msn.com)
- Hide Your Pecker, Hide Your Wife: Superstrain Of Antibiotic-Resistant Gonorrhea Discovered (geekologie.com)
- ‘Alarming’ Gonorrhea Superbug Discovered by Scientists (inquisitr.com)
- Kristin: Gonorrhea Superbug: First Antibiotic-Resistant STD Strain Discovered (huffingtonpost.com)
- First Drug-Resistant Strain of Gonorrhea Discovered (newser.com)
- Scary Strain of Gonorrhea Is Resistant To All Known Antibiotics [Science] (gizmodo.com)
- antiobiotic-resistant strain of gonorrhea appears in Japan – latimes.com (policyabcs.wordpress.com)
- Please Unleash Godzilla Instead, Super Drug Resistant Gonorrhea Found In Japan (laist.com)
- Superbug gonorrhea resistant to multiple classes of antibiotics (theglobeandmail.com)
- Bad News for the Promiscuous: Say Hello to the Gonorrhea Superbug (zwingliusredivivus.wordpress.com)
- Scientists find drug-resistant gonorrhea ‘superbug’ in Japan (theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com)
- Gonorrhea: Getting Harder To Kill (bilerico.com)
- Gonorrhea Superbug: First Antibiotic-Resistant STD Strain Discovered (alternet.org)
- Gonorrhea superbug resistant to all antibiotics (thestar.com)