One of the most amazing things about modern life is how little time we spend living it. At any moment we have half a dozen things to distract us from the moment.
Our constant distraction is actually bad for our brains. A new study using MRI machines on individuals who meditate show that they increase their grey matter. The study was reported by NCCAM, which is generating a number of positive studies about alternative medicine. Here’s a quote: “Brain images in the meditation group revealed increases in gray matter concentration in the left hippocampus. The hippocampus is an area of the brain involved in learning, memory, and emotional control”
So let’s take a minute to be mindful. Having trouble? You could take a trip to northeastern Thailand and live with the monks.
Or, you could take a few minutes to look over Achaan Chah’s teaching here at home. I like his teaching because it’s all about shutting up and listening to yourself. He didn’t allow his disciples to get soft. When he died, they donated all the money gifts to support the local hospital.
If you just cannot get any time for any of this, it’s time to take time. We cannot live if we never take the time to pause and enjoy it.
- Does Meditation Promote a Healthy Memory? (healthymemory.wordpress.com)
- Reducing pain with your own brain – meditation (heroesnotzombies.wordpress.com)
- Better Brain in 8 Weeks? (itsgeektome.wordpress.com)
- Another Way To Numb The Pain (psychworld.com)
- How meditation can change your brain (smartrevolution.org)
- How Meditation May Improve Skills (odetocapitalism.com)
- Long-Term Ecstasy Users at Risk for Brain Damage (nlm.nih.gov)
- Brain Waves and Meditation II (addictionts.com)
- Guest Commentary: Mindfulness – The Most Important Trading … (forexonlinenews.com)
- Meditation may change the brain (newsblog.barnesjewish.org)
- Can Evening Primrose Oil Reduce PMS Symptoms? (brighthub.com)
- Adults can boost their brains in under two hours by learning like a baby (dailymail.co.uk)
- Adults “can boost their brains by learning like a baby” (news.bioscholar.com)
- Job opening at NIH for an experienced statistician (stat.columbia.edu)
- Still not walking? Your brain wants you to cover 6 miles every week! (raackerman.wordpress.com)
- Love and Pain and Your Brain (azdenek.wordpress.com)
- How political differences are reflected in the brain (dailymail.co.uk)
- Want to think more rationally? Try meditation. (psychologytoday.com)
- From Ouch to Om, Meditation Reduces Pain (livescience.com)