I just had a wonderful discussion today about setting up a Maine based community radiation reporting network for Maine. The reality of radiation is that it tends to swirl and eddy like dust in the winds. So we could have almost no exposure and/or concentrated exposure depending on the weather.
The idea of a community based network is that we are currently dependent on local government. They are dependent on the federal EPA or other agencies, who rely far too much on the honesty and prompt reporting of industry experts. I’m not saying the system is broken, I’m saying a comprehensive, stage by stage plan for dealing with something like what happened in Japan here in Maine doesn’t exist.
I am sure that if a major spill happened, we would all know about it. But if something were to be leaking over a period of time, it is very likely that industry spokespeople would downplay both the danger and the necessary clean up. To do otherwise would be financial suicide for even the largest corporation.
So we’ve reached a crazy time where it isn’t that illogical to own a geiger counter. It would be nicer if we could share them around, and don’t go running off and buying an expensive one as I’m working to have the plans available. Currently helpful community members are already nationwide providing inputs for all of us. Thank you, geiger toting volunteers! Here’s the map, updated almost constantly. http://radiationnetwork.com/
So the rest of us can breathe a little easier.
- Radiation in Drinking Water: Richmond and Boise. (alternativendhealth.wordpress.com)
- Geiger counter built in an Ohmmeter enclosure (hackaday.com)
- Crowd-sourced Radiation Data from Japan (aleksandreia.wordpress.com)
- Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid Of The Day (geeks.thedailywh.at)
- Three Sites Where You Can Monitor U.S. Radiation Levels (blogs.forbes.com)
- S. Korea shuts schools over radioactive rain (msnbc.msn.com)
- Hackerspace Happenings: MAKE Interviews Tokyos Akiba (mt-soft.com.ar)
- Hackerspace Happenings: MAKE Interviews Tokyo’s Akiba (makezine.com)
- U.S. Health Care System Unprepared for Major Nuclear Emergency (propublica.org)
- Utahns exposed to radiation more than those at sea level ()
- How to protect yourself from radiation poisoning (thepearlsofwisdom.wordpress.com)
- tut tut, it looks like….radioactive rain (anthonytracy.wordpress.com)
- Fukushima Radiation Spreading to More U.S. States (freedomwatchps.wordpress.com)
- Nuclear/Japan Contamination : The US Environmental Protection Agency may Kill You with Radiation (theboldcorsicanflame.wordpress.com)
- TSA can’t keep accurate records on radiation emitted by whole body scanners (tsafuckups.wordpress.com)
- Radiation Network (tipggita32.wordpress.com)
- There’s No Such Thing as Safe Radiation (pakos.me)
- Apparently S. Korea didn’t get Ann Coulter’s memo on radiation. They closed schools today (iflizwerequeen.com)
- Radiation Sanity Chart (letsplaymath.net)
- Is any level of radiation safe? Japanese fallout renews debate ()
- No increase in radiation levels in Southern California air (latimesblogs.latimes.com)
- Universities come through in monitoring for radiation (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Traces of Radiation from Japan Nuclear Plant Found in US Rain (alternet.org)
- Homeopathic Treatment for Our Upcoming Radiation Cloud? (alternativendhealth.wordpress.com)
- TSA can’t keep accurate records on radiation emitted by whole body scanners (tsascrewups.wordpress.com)
- Radiation exposure limits to be tightened (search.japantimes.co.jp)
- Radiation, Inflammation, Aggravation (everydayhealth.com)