Another person asked me whether cell phones cause cancer today. I looked around on medline, and it would appear that, even in the medical community, there is a lot of loud discussion. We see a number of positive studies from one university, and some negative studies from another university. These are studies that involve beaming cell phone radiation onto petri dishes with amniotic cells. So the only question that really will answer is whether junior should get a cell phone while in the womb. Let’s go out on a limb and say intra-utero cell phone usage is probably a bad idea.
Otherwise, we’re talking about cell phone usage of 24 to 72 hours straight, and less than half the studies are coming up with any cellular change. NOT cancer, cellular change. Yes, it’s a possible precursor to cancer, but not definitive. One study did a comparison between cell phone radiation and regular, nuclear type radiation. Guess what? Nuclear radiation is much, much worse for you.
My biggest issue with this is that stress is directly linked to cancer risk. Stressing about your cell phone usage while continuing to use it is bad for your health. We all need to understand that we are bathed in a low dose radio level radiation all the time. A cell phone is just one small part of that. For those who want the best answer we have now: no increase in cancer rates in cell phone users (but older people are getting more brain cancers, so overall the rates are rising).
- Wifi, Cell Phones, and You (ask.metafilter.com)
- Cell Phones – Are They Safe? (keepwomenhealthy.com)
- Study: Cell Phone Radiation May Cause Brain Activity, Whatever That Means (techcrunch.com)
- Study: Cell Phone Radiation May Cause Brain Activity, Whatever That Means (mobilecrunch.com)
- Cell-Phone Radiation: Five Ways to Protect Yourself (healthland.time.com)
- FOR KIDS: Cell phones on the brain (sciencenews.org)
- Texas girl’s assault recorded on cell phones (hointervention.com)
- Cell Phone Radiation and Cancer: What You Should Know (thedailygreen.com)
- Cell Phones and Brain Function (theness.com)
- Dropped Call: Studies Refute Contention That Cell Phones Cause Cancer (scientificamerican.com)
- “Scientists Discover Cell phones do “Something” to Your Brain” and related posts (berryreview.com)
- No Good Link Between Cell Phones and Brain Cancer (bsurgmed.wordpress.com)
- Cell phones affect brain activity, study says (cbsnews.com)
- Brain Cancer Risk Seems Unrelated To Cell Phone Use (lockergnome.com)